Prep 30 mins
Cook 840 hrs
You can use this in your Cosmopolitian, Sea Breeze cocktails.
- 1 lb fresh cranberries
- 1 cup good vodka
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar syrup (see note)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Rinse and pick over the cranberries, discarding stems and any soft or shriveled berries.
- Chop berries in a blender.
- In a sterile, wide-mouth jar, combine the cranberries, vodka, sugar syrup and orange zest.
- Cap, shake gently and set aside in a cool dark place for 4 to 5 weeks.
- When ready to proceed, strain out the solids and save for other uses (cakes, sauces or relish).
- Filter and transfer to another sterilized bottle.
- Note: To make sugar syrup, bring 1 1/4 cups sugar and 2/3 cup water to a boil.
- Simmer, occasionally stirring and scraping down the sides of the pan, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Made this for gift-giving, with Wolfshmidt 100 proof- lovely color, but POTENT. We've been jokingly calling it "cranberry hootch"! Tasty stuff.