Recipe by Elly in Canada
A nice flavourful shortbread! I make these for Christmas, nice to add to the cookie trays for friends and neighbours. Source: Inspired by Compliments magazine
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry juice
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and lemon zest.
- Combine flour, salt and cranberries. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture, blending until smooth. Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes (not included in prep time). to make it easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutter or knife. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and bake until lightly golden around the edges, 15 to 20 minute
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix icing sugar and cranberry juice to form a pale pink icing. Keep covered until ready to use. Once cookies have cooled, decorate each cookie with icing and allow to firm up.