Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original of this recipe comes from the Touch of Home's Fall Baking Cookbook, 2009. Preparation time does not include the 2 hours needed for the dough to chill.
FOR THE COOKIE
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
FOR THE FILLING
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons lemon zest, minced
- FOR THE COOKIE: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening & sugars until light & fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, lemon zest & salt, then gradually add this to the creamed mixture & mix well.
- Stir in the cranberries, cover & refrigerate until easy to handle, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls & place them 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets, before flattening the balls with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are just lightly browned, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- FOR THE FILLING: In a small mixing bowl, combine the 4 filling ingredients, & beat until smooth.
- Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies, then top that with another cookie to make a sandwich.