Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The lemon flavour is really nice with the cranberries.
Make and share this Cranberry Lemon Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until well combined.
- Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and rind.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Gently stir in the cranberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn out on a rack to finish cooling.
- This bread freezes well.
I can't believe I didn't find this recipe ages ago because it is the best. If you use frozen cranberries it will definitely take longer to bake and it is one of those cranberry bread recipes that I usually wait until I have fresh fruit because it seems, to us, to be of a better texture. Thanks for one of the better recipes I have found - we absolutely love cranberries.
This recipe was delicious. The outside of the bread is crunchy and sweet, big burst of sweet lemon flavor perfectly offset by the cranberries. Will definitely make this one again! Made exactly as directed + I added 1/2 tsp lemon extract (though I don't think it needed it) The Time however was WAY off for me. I took this out of the oven after 40 minutes, it looked done, tested done. I let it sit the 10 minutes and when I flipped it out of the pan and took the parchment paper off the bottom I saw the whole middle was raw. So I through it back in the oven at 375 for another 20 minutes.
Made this for my father in law (he loves lemon) for breakfast. The texture came out really nice and it slices great. I did add some chopped walnuts since I love them in cranberry bread. Thanks MaeEast for posting. Roxygirl