Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kissels are a type of fruit soup that are popular in Eastern Europe. This one is made with cranberries but you can use any type of soft fruit to make it. Please note: You may substitute cornstarch for the potato flour if you can't get it.
- Rinse cranberries and put to boil in water.
- When all the berries have burst, strain and force through a sieve.
- Retain the liquid and pulp; discard the skins.
- Reheat the juice while mixing in the sugar to taste.
- Mix the potato starch with cold water and slowly stir into the juice until thickened. It should be the consistency of thick syrup.
- Pour the hot kissel in to a serving dish and sprinkle the top with sugar to avoid forming a skin on top.
- Cover and cool.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.