Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3 -4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a big mixing bowl, stir the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In another bowl, combine the egg and juice; stir into flour mixture.
- Stir in cranberries and almonds.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Orange Frosting: in a small bowl, stir the powdered sugar, orange peel, and enough orange juice to make drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle frosting over cookies; let frosting dry.
- To store: place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover; store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze undrizzled cookies up to 3 months; thaw cookies, then drizzle.