Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I make this for our Thanksgiving turkey dinner and freeze the remaining for use with the Christmas dinner.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 small onion
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Chop together onion and cranberries in food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix together well.
- Keep refrigerated and leftovers can be frozen.
- A zippy little replacement for regular cranberry sauce to serve with your turkey dinner.
2 c Cranberries, raw 1 sm Onion 1/2 c Sugar 3/4 c Sour cream 2 T white horseradish (prepared) are the exacts ingredients in mama stamberg's classic cranberry relish. The only thing different is in the recipe i use to make mama's relish calls for it to be made in advance and frozzen then defrosted sightly on thanksgiving. I think being frozen gives it a lot more body. This was always a hit for thanksgiving at my grandparents house and now that they have passed away, at mine.
I heard this recipe on NPR and made it this year. what a delight. It is delicious! Now I can keep it in my cookbook without posting myself to remember. Thank you.
I thought this was really good, such a nice change from the usual cranberry sauce. I did find, however, that my Thanksgiving guests either loved it or hated it. There were a couple of people who couldn't believe I'd combine horseradish and cranberries. :-)