Prep 20 mins
Cook 27 mins
These extra-crisp cookies contain no butter or oil. Great with watermelon. I got this recipe out of Bon Appetit.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts (toasted, husked, coarsely chopped)
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°; Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until thick.
- Beat in peel and vanilla.
- Slowly beat in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Beat in cranberries and nuts.
- Using floured hands, divide dough into 2 balls.
- Flatten each to 1 inch thickness.
- Brush beaten egg whites.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, reduce heat to 320° and cut on a diagonal line every 3/4 inches.
- Arrange cut sides down on baking sheet.
- Bake until bottoms are brown about 7 minutes.
turned out very nice... i didn't bake them quite long enough to get that really crisp effect, but they were very good. i also substituted pecans for the hazelnuts. yummy!
These are so delicious, it's hard to believe they are so easy to make. The flavours of the nuts and fruit with the orange peel are just yummy! I used mandarin orange zest-very nice
Excellent biscotti! They took a lot longer to get brown on top before the slicing--more like 35 minutes for me, but they were worth it. I'll be giving these out as Christmas gifts. Oh, and I subbed the hazelnuts with almonds. Excellent recipe!