Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A pretty cake, lovely for the holidays.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 12 egg yolks, well beaten
- 12 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 lb cranberries (4 cups)
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar.
- Alternately add egg yolks, egg whites and flour to butter mixture.
- Beat until light and smooth.
- Pour into greased and floured 10" tube pan.
- Bake in preheated 325* oven about 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes before removing.
- Drizzle cooled Cranberry Glaze over cake.
- Decorate with whole cranberries, if desired.
- Cranberry Glaze: In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to rapid boil.
- Simmer 10 minutes and add cranberries.
- Cook until cranberries pop, about 5 minutes.
- Remove cranberries with slotted spoon and discard or save for another use.
- Continue to cook syrup until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before using.