Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great chicken recipe to use up any leftover cranberries from the holidays, although you might find yourself buying cranberries all year around just to make this dish! Serve this with cooked rice. Throw in some mushrooms or chopped green peppers with the sauce, if you like lots of sauce then double all ingredients.
- 1⁄2 cup flour (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (can use more than 1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 -6 tablespoons butter
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a large casserole dish.
- Combine flour with seasoning salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, then place in the baking dish (do not clean skillet).
- In the same skillet with the drippings mix the water, brown sugar, vinegar, 1 tablespoon flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add in cranberries and cook slowly stirring constantly until the cranberry skins pop and the mixture thickens (about 10-15 minutes).
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
Did double the ingredients, GREAT suggestion, TRUE! So versatile, SO many ways to serve too! GREAT for entertaining with family and friends, The combinations... possibilities... there are no ends!
Thanks for sharing another winner Kitten. This was simply wonderful and so quick and easy to make. We really enjoyed the moist tender chicken and the sauce. Oh the sauce...sweet, sour,tangy,tart and a little spicy. The spices blended beautifully with the cranberries truly enhancing the dish. I used frozen cranberries and chicken breasts and served mashed potatoes and tender green peas with it...Yummy! I will be making this again often.