Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a lovely party appetizer. I especially like it at Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's Day.
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (35 ounce) brie round
- fresh fruit
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until cranberries pop.
- Set aside, and let cool.
- Remove rind from top of Brie, cutting to within 1/2-inch of outside edges.
- Place cheese on a baking sheet; spoon cranberry mixture over top.
- Bake at 300ºF for 20 minutes, or until cheese is softened, but not melted.
- Transfer cheese to a serving platter; garnish, if desired.
- Serve with assorted crackers.
Very easy but impressive appetizer, but be careful to follow the amounts of spices as stated and not to be generous. I did and had to make the cranberry mix again, I put in too much mustard and cloves, they were overpowering and the mustard made it bitter. I used a mild brie but think next time will use a stronger and more mature brie.
a big hit at parties, I didn't have any cloves or cardomom. I added orange zest & almonds. Very delicious! My kids love it too!
This is something I had made frequently during the holidays but somehow lost the recipe - I'm so glad to have come across this recipe again because it is always a sucess! I'm planning a Christmas Party in a few weeks and this is on the menu - I will most likely serve this with fresh French Bread warm from the oven. Mmmm I can't wait! I'm going to try and reserve some time to photograph this for you before the party begins! Thanks for posting :)