Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 cup ocean spray cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease and lightly flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Prepare cranberries, nuts and orange peel; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda.
- Cut in shortening.
- Stir in orange juice, egg and orange peel mixing just to moisten.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Bake 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cool completely.
- Wrap and store overnight.
BB really loved the flavors of this recipe! I made one for our home and one for the neighbors. DELICIOSO! I did watch for liquid as reviews posted and did use a smidge over the 1/4 c posted. I will make this often as it really does meld so nice in flavor. Toasted some this morning for breakfast and holy wonderful! melted butter and a smidge of homemade strawberry jam. More for tomorrow left so I am a happy woman. Made for Cookathon in your and Ed's honour.
Not nearly enough liquid in this recipe to make it work. Am giving it 3 stars for the flavor after I managed to salvage the batter by adding 3/4 cup of light cream. At www.oceanspray.com the classic recipe for CLASSIC CRANBERRY NUT BREAD calls for 1 1/2 cups cranberries and 3/4 cup orange juice.
This the recipe that brought me to Recipezaar almost 6 years ago. Everyone at work loved this bread and so did my family. I plan on making again at Christmas time this year.