Recipe by Katzen
Found in the Simple Homemade Fall '09 Flyer. Prep time does not include 1 hour 45 minutes rising time.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
~Tasty Dish~ and I enjoyed preparing this bread yesterday for Elevenses. Subbed whole milk for evaporated and 1 cup of spring whole wheat for regular. Cranberries reduced to 3/4 cup. Made two loaves and the loaves baked in about 30 minutes. Tried it with this spread: Recipe #489593 Yum! Made for Veg Tag/November.
- 1⁄2 cup water, warm (105F - 115F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk (regular, 2%, or Fat Free)
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm (105F - 115F)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup coarse sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine warm water & sugar in large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over mixture; let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients. Add 2 1/2 cups flour, stirring to combine. Stir in additional flour a bit at a time to make a soft dough. Knead 10 minutes by hand on a lightly floured surface or 5 minutes on a mixer on low speed.
- Place dough in a lightly buttered or oiled large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead in cranberries. Shape into a flat round about 8" in diametre. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 45 mintues.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Gently brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Tip: If not serving right away, wrap in foil and freeze in a plastic bag. When ready to serve, defrost on counter. Place in preheated 375F oven for 8-10 minutes, serve.