Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe in an old vegetarian cookbook that my wife gave me.I have not tried it yet but plan on it since it includes figs.
- 1 lb cranberries
- 1 lb fresh fig
- 2 pippin apples (or any other firm tart green apples)
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lbs sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- Wash the cranberries and pick them over discarding any that are soft or brown.
- Trim the stems off the figs.
- Quarter the figs lengthwise and slice them thinly.
- Peel and core the apples and coarsely chop them.
- Slice one of the lemons and remove all seeds.
- Then chop it finely peel and all, or put it through the coarse blade of a food mill.
- Squeeze and reserve the juice of the second lemon and discard the rind.
- Combine the cranberries, figs, apples, chopped lemon, lemon juice and water in a large kettle and heat gently, stirring until the berries begin popping and releasing their juice.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook it stirring often,until all the fruit is tender.
- Add the sugar and stir over low heat until it is completely dissolved.
- Bring this mixture to a hard spitting boil, and keep it boiling stirring with a long handled wooden spoon until it sets about another 8 to 10 minute.
- Add the kirsch, stir it in and cook another 1 min.or so.
- Ladle into hot sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch. headroom.
- seal and allow them to cool.
- Store them in a cool dry place.