2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Nice breakfast treat. Tastes wonderful toasted with butter and or jam or cream cheese. You can substitute raisins or dates when craisins are not in season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in water in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until butter melts. Cool to lukewarm (105 to 115 degrees).
- 3Stir milk mixture, craisins, and 3 cups flour into yeast mixture; beat until smooth.
- 4Add 2-1/2 to 3 cups flour to form a stiff dough.
- 5Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 2 minutes or until dough can be shaped into a ball (dough will be slightly sticky). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees) free of drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 6Punch dough down, and divide in half. Turn each half out onto a smooth surface heavily sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 7Pat one half of dough into a circle, 1/2 inch thick, using palms of hands; cut dough into rounds with a 2-3/4inch cutter. (Cut carefully, as any leftover dough should not be reused.).
- 8Sprinkle 2 baking sheets with cornmeal. Transfer cut dough rounds to baking sheets, placing 2 inches apart with cornmeal side down (one side of dough should remain free of cornmeal). Repeat process with remaining half of dough.
- 9Cover and let rixe in a warm place (85F), free of drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- 10*Using a wide spatula, transfer rounds to a preheated 360 degree, lighlty greased electric skillet. Place cornmeal side down; cook for 6 minutes. Turn and cook 6 additional minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- 11To serve, split muffins and toast until lighlty browned. Store muffins in an airtight container.
- 12* Note: Muffins may be cooked over direct medium-high heat in a skillet. To ease the morning breakfast rush, the muffins can be prepared ahead of time and stored in an airtight container; just split and toast before serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Sodium 182.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g