Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Can you say yum? From the King Arthur Flour website. Buy lots of fresh cranberries while they are in season, and freeze to be able to make this year-round! Passive cooking time here = chilling time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries or 12 ounces frozen cranberries
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 5 1/4 ounces )
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar or 1⁄4 cup glazing sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup diced walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted in a 350 F oven for 8 to 10 minutes
- For the Cranberry topping: Bring the sugar, salt, and cranberry juice to a boil. Stir in the dried cranberries, then the fresh or frozen berries. Simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, or until about half the berries have popped. Remove from the heat, and cool to room temperature. Yield: 4 cups.
- You’ll need about 15 ounces (a scant 2 cups) sauce for the pie; enjoy the remainder on its own.
- For the crust: Process the crackers, sugar, and melted butter in a food processor till crumbly and well combined. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for about 7 to 8 minutes, until it’s set, but not brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
- For the filling: Put the chips and cream in a microwave-safe container, and heat for about 90 seconds. Remove from the microwave, and stir till the mixture becomes smooth and dark brown. You’re simply making a basic ganache.
- Assembly: Spoon the hot ganache into the cooled crust, and sprinkle the toasted nuts on top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, probably 2, till the ganache has firmed up. Once the ganache is set, top with the cranberry sauce.
This is the most delicious unexpectedly decadent pie EVER! I made this for Thanksgiving dessert and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. We used the leftover cranberry topping over an apple-cinnamon french toast casserole. Wonderful! Truly the best cranberry dishs we have ever had!
15 for Thanksgiving - all asked for the recipe. ONLY thing I did differently is to make 1 1/2 times the crust and the ganache so to fit in an overlarge pie tin - then used all the topping. Yumyumyum!!!
WOW !! Avery delicious pie. For the filling I combined the walnuts and pecans. We loved the cranberry flavor. It was amazing. I used the semi-sweet chocolate. This was a wonderful combo. A GREAT TASTING MEAL. Made for Potluck tag.