Recipe by Carmen B.
Anyone who likes cranberries is going to love these. I made them for Christmas last year and will be making two batches this time. This came from one of my Betty Crocker cookbooks.
Top Review by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
Delicious and simple to make...A nice combination of tart and slightly sweet! I used all whole wheat flour and a little less brown sugar in the topping. My husband, 3 year old, 11 month old, and I all love it! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats or 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup white flour or 1 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, mix granulated sugar, orange juice and water.
- Heat to boiling.
- Stir in all remaining Cranberry Filling ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened; cool.
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- In medium bowl, mix brown sugar and butter.
- Stir in all remaining Bar ingredients until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
- Spread with filling.
- Top with remaining crumbly mixture; press lightly.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until light brown.
- For bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows while warm.