Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Making this for breakfast for Thanksgiving...smells so good baking I thought I'd post it for all to see and for safe keeping. This has a layer of moist cake, then fresh cranberries that pop as they bake adding bursts of tart jam-like mouthfuls, and finally a layer of butter-rich crumbs and coat of powdered sugar.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350*F. Grease a 10" springform pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter the flour. Lightly flour the pan, tapping out all excess.
- Make the crumbs: Stir toghether the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. At first it might look as if the crumb mixture is too wet, but it will become more "crumbly" after it sits a few minutes; set aside.
- For the cake: Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Combine the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla; mix well until blended.
- Stir the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until smooth and blended.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan; batter will just cover the bottom.
- Place the cranberries in a single even layer over the batter, leaving a 1/4" border around the outer perimeter of the pan.
- Scatter the crumbs evenly over the berries and cake batter border, breaking up any excessively large chunks in the process; press crumbs down lightly to adhere.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely on a rack; run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to loosen and release the springform sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar; store at room temperature. (This can be made up to 1 day in advance.).
Tasty, but not quite sweet enough for my taste. I will add more sugar next time. I also added chopped pecans on top of the crumbs. Next time, I will put them under the crumbs (so they don't fall off when sliced).