Recipe by flower7
I got this delicious recipe from a co-worker after she brought it to a potluck. It was definitely one of the hits of the day! Originally from Southern Living. Update Dec '09: I've now made this multiple times since originally posting; it is one of my absolute favorites for a potluck! I usually double it but find that if you cook double the amount of couscous at once, it can get gummy, so I cook it in two separate batches (cook one then use the same pot to do the next), then add the rest of the (doubled) ingredients.
Top Review by Janecooksswell
THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I have been making it all summer long! Everyone; my vegan client, vegetarians, and everyone else absolutely raves about it. For my vegan, I add some quinoa to the mix and she loves it! Thank you! Thank you!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, cranberries, cinnamon, and cumin in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Remove broth from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5-7 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool slightly, uncovered.
- Whisk oil and vinegar together; pour over couscous. Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Serve either chilled or at room temperature.