Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a sweet cake-like corn bread. Whole blueberries--coated in flour--can be used in place of the cranberries.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cranberries, halved
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game (Feb '08 - Jan '09). This was very good cornbread. I didn't have access to cranberries so I used blueberries instead as was suggested in the introduction. Thanks for posting this Juenessa!