Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for the holidays.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup half-and-half)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine cranberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Combine milk, eggs, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Pour liquid into cornmeal mixture. Combine just to blend. Do not beat. Stir in sweetened cranberries.
- Spoon batter into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and wooden pick inseted in center comes out clean.
- Let cornbread cool completely in pan and cut into squares to serve.
I tried making this with half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. It didn't work well. The cranberries were a delightful addition and I'll probably double the quantity next time.