Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Perfect for holiday brunch or potluck gathering!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F Coat a 9 x 13-in baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared baking dish. Dollop half the can of cranberry sauce over the top, then gently spread, swirling it into the batter. Top with the remaining batter, then dollop with the remaining cranberry sauce.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the top and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cake cools, make the icing: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the warm cake, then let cool completely before serving.