Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fabulous recipe I make every fall when the cranberries are in season! My family just LOVES this moist, flavorful bread! I like to have it a bit toasted (in the toaster oven) with cream cheese on it :-) Enjoy!!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries (or 3 1/2 cups fresh Cranberries)
- Sift together dry ingredients and cut in shortening. When shortening has been incorporated add orange juice, eggs and coconut. When all ingredients have been mixed smoothly together, fold in cranberries.
- Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour (check it at 50 min) or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over cook - as this will be dry.
- After removing from the oven, separate the bread from the sides of the pans with a knife and turn out loaves onto a cooling rack. Let sit at least 3 hours before cutting. If you try to cut the bread when it's hot, it will fall apart on you :-).
I made half the recipe for 12 muffins. Instead of using 1 cup of sugar I used 1/2 cup. I used frozen cranberries (whole). I baked the muffins for 30 minutes. They have a great texture and taste from the coconut, cranberries and orange. Thanks FabulousMissV :) Made for PAC spring 2011
It's for recipes like this one that I stock up on cranberries during the winter holidays & have them available in the freezer! Absolutely loved this bread! Cranberry & orange are a favorite flavor combo of mine, & now with the added coconut ~ Super nice! Will be making these again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]