Recipe by Stella Mae
Fabulous adaptation of Madhur Jaffrey's quick chutney using canned cranberries when unable to get fresh. If using fresh, just make as usual and adapt to this recipe. Wonderful anytime, and especially good with holiday turkey, roast or ham. This recipe freezes well, too! Cooking time will vary according to quantity.
- 1 (1 lb) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 (1 lb) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar (or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 small orange, peeled,diced
- 1 -2 inch orange rind, finely diced
- 1⁄2-1 lemon, juice only
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ginger into paper thin slices, stack, cut into thin slivers.
- Combine slivers, garlic, vinegar, sugar, pepper,cinnamon and allspice into a heavy pot.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes (may take longer) until there're about 4 tablespoons liquid left (excluding the solids).
- Add cranberry sauce and salt.
- Mix, bring to a simmer.
- It will be a bit lumpy.
- Add nuts, orange, peel and lemon juice.
- Simmer slowly.
- It will take 2 to 3 hours to thicken.
- Cool, put in a jar and refrigerate.
- This will keep for several days and freezes well.