Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yum yum! I served this chutney at Thanksgiving and ended up copying the recipe for most of the guests. Bye bye cranberry sauce in a can and hello Cranberry Chutney! (This recipe is a courtesy of Elizabeth Ryan.)
- 1 3⁄4 lbs tart apples, cored,peeled and chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs cranberries
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb dark raisin
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chutney has condensed down and apples are only slightly crisp.
- (If using frozen cranberries, increase cooking time to 35-40 minutes.).
Delicious! I think this stuff could wake me up from a 35 year coma.
Made this for this Thanksgiving. Turned out really good. Got lots of compliments. Had it alongside canned jellied sauce and the flavor was much more complex. It was nice to had a dab here and there throughout the meal. Added some 1-1/2 oz Grand Marnier to one half-batch but wasn't able to taste it in there. Good stuff, I'll make it this Christmas!
A bit tarter than I like but very good with softened cream cheese and chopped peanuts on celery. Very popular snack at get togethers. Will use less tart apples and less apple cider vinegar next time. This is a big batch, fed the church, gave half away and had enough for Christmas dinner.