Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my mom's recipe for cranberry chutney. As a kid I didn't like it, but now that my tastes are more refined, I LOVE IT! I have no idea where she got it though, probably from a magazine somewhere. I'm not really sure of the serving size as my mom has always made this, but I do know it makes a lot!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups cranberries (1 package)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (or other)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 slice fresh ginger (nickel sized slice)
- 2 cloves
- saute the onion in the olive oil.
- when they are golden brown, add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes-ish. Don't let it burn! It doesn't taste good then and you'll have to start over.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer until thick.
- You can store it in your fridge for a few weeks or in your freezer for a few months.