Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cranberries & chutney -- What a nice combo! The recipe was found online at homecooking.about.com.
- 16 ounces fresh cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pear, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon onion salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan, & bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat & simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature, then store in refrigerator [will keep several weeks].
Wonderfully delicious chutney - the aroma alone is worth 5 stars! Loved the sweet/tart taste and any time a dish contains cranberries, its a winner for me. I left out the celery and onion salt, but the taste was not affected in any way. This chutney would be great with any meat dish; especially pork, but I am sure there are many more great uses for this chutney. Made for the 1-2-3 Tag, November, 2011.
Easy to make and great taste. The only thing I left out was the onion salt, but that was optional anyway. When done it jelled up nicely. I tasted it when it was warm and when cold. Both is good. This is the first time I have made a chutney but it will not be the last! I am very pleased with the result. Thanks for posting. Made for India -- More Than Just Curries Tag Game -- March 2010.
I made this for the first time this year (2007) I adjusted it a bit, but it was wonderful!!! I used 1-1/2 bags cranberrys, 1 cup of apples pears and asian pears, also added l cup of water and 1-1/2 cups brown sugar. I also left out the onion salt, and everybody loved it. Good warm or cold!!