Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I have not had the opportunity to make this yet but I needed a place to save the recipe before my hubby cleans up and throws away my magazine.
- 2 (12 ounce) bags fresh cranberries
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 30 ladyfingers
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Make Compote: Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until cranberries pop, about 5 minutes. Let cool. (Can be prepared one day ahead; cover and refrigerate).
- Make Pudding: Bring 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and cocoa to simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat. In a bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 c milk with cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Slowly add hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return to pan and whisk over medium-high heat until pudding boils. Lower heat and whisk until pudding becomes very thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour into a bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Make Trifle: Set aside 3/4 c of the compote. Whip cream until stiff peaks form, reserving 1 1/2 cups. Fold remaining cream gently into chocolate pudding. Cover bottom of the trifle bowl with ladyfingers. Add 1/4 c orange juice; spread 1/3 of compote over ladyfingers; cover with 1/3 of pudding. Repeat layering twice more. Spread reserved cream on top. Spoon reserved compote into center of bowl. Garnish with zest and grated chocolate. Chill 1 hour before serving.