Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a spectacular cranberry tart with a mascarpone filling and chocolate crust! Cranberry topping and mascarpone filling can be made ahead & put together the night or a few hours before serving. Cooking time includes chill time
- 1⁄2 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries, fresh
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 slices crystallized ginger, cut thin for optional garnish (optional)
- Pour 1/4 cup cranberry juice into small bowl;sprinkle gelatin over.
- Let stand until softened,about 15 minutes. Combine 1/4 cup cranberry juice, cranberries and the next 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan;bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer until cranberries are tender but still plump,about 5 minutes.
- Strain into bowl;set cranberries aside.
- Add gelatin mixture to hot juice in bowl; stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Stir cranberries back into juice.
- Chill until cranberry mixture is cold and slightly thickened, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Can be made 2 days ahead,cover and chill.
- Stir chopped crystallized ginger into cranberry mixture.
- Preheat 350°F; position rack in center of oven.
- Combine chocolate wafer cookies crumbs,sugar and salt in medium bowl;add 5 tablespoons melted butter and stir until crumbs feel moist when pressed together with fingertips.
- If dry add 1 more tablespoon of melted butter.
- Press crumbs onto bottom and sides of 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake until crust begins to set and slightly crisp, about 14 minutes.
- Press with spoon if crust puffs.
- Cool crust completely before filling.
- Mascarpone Filling:.
- Beat all ingredients except ginger in medium bowl just until thick enough to spread.
- DO NOT OVERBEAT OR MIX WILL CURDLE!
- This can be made 1 day ahead,cover and chill.
- Spoon cranberry mixture evenly over mascarpone filling.
- Chill at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
- Garnish with crystallized ginger strips if desired.
- Serve cold.