Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was the one that started my trail cooking website - and convinced me to write my first trail cookbook a couple years ago. Taken from my book 'Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple'. You can prepare it two ways - either in a hikers cooking pot or in a quart sized freezer bag. I listed the one pot method here. For the FBC way, put your dry ingredients in the bag and add the hot water/chicken. Stir, seal tightly and insulate for 15 minutes, then fluff and eat.
- 1 cup instant rice
- 2 tablespoons diced dried vegetables
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 pinch salt, if desired (optional)
- 1 (5 ounce) can chicken (pop top style)
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water and the chicken (with broth) to a boil in your cooking pot. Add in the dry ingredients, stir, put on the pot's lid. Turn off the stoves heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff up and enjoy.