1 hr 35 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (6 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup hot whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 2In a medium nonmetal bowl combine yogurt, ginger, garlic, and garam masala; mix well.
- 3Add chicken pieces; toss to combine.
- 4Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 5In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook onions in 1/3 cup hot butter, stirring often, about 15 minutes or until onions are golden and caramelized.
- 6Using tongs, remove onions from Dutch oven; set aside.
- 7Add cashew to Dutch oven; cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly brown and toasted.
- 8Using a slotted spoon, remove cashews from Dutch oven; drain on paper towel-lined plate.
- 9In a large saucepan combine 4 cups of the chicken broth, the basmati rice, and 1 tablespoon butter.
- 10Bring to boiling, decrease heat; simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed and rice is tender; remove from heat.
- 11Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- 12Add chicken to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 13Stir in cinnamon, cumin, salt, and cloves; cook and stir 1 minute.
- 14Add remaining chicken broth; cook and stir 4-5 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- 15Add cranberries, caramelized onions, and cooked rice to chicken mixture in Dutch oven.
- 16Mix gently.
- 17Combine cayenne pepper and milk.
- 18Pour milk mixture over chicken-rice mixture.
- 19Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 20Remove lid and mix well.
- 21To serve, divide chicken mixture among serving bowls.
- 22Top with mint, cilantro, and reserved cashews; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Chicken Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.8
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 66.4 mg
- Sodium 369.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 23.2 g