Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cheddar cheese highlights the flavor of this tangy bread.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Halve cranberries; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Add cranberries and pecans to dry ingredient, coating well.
- Combine milk, egg, orange rind and melted butter; add to dry ingredients alternately with cheese. Stir just to moisten ingredients. Pour into 9 x 5 x 3-inch greased loaf pan; spread evenly, making corners and sides slightly higher than center. Bake for 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; turn out of pan. Bread slices easier if stored overnight.
- American Cooking.
This bread makes a very nice texture, moist without being soggy, even after been stored for a few days. However, I used a mild cheese, and didn't get any cheese flavor, only cranberry. This might change with a sharp cheddar, although that could also change the texture.