Recipe by Jaelini
Clients of the company I work for give us fresh cranberries every year at Thanksgiving. this year, I decided to actually DO something with them. I made this cranberry cake several times in one week because we just can't get enough of it. It's sweet with a golden crumb, soft and moist, and dense without being heavy, with juicy explosions of tart cranberries. This is also really easy; it comes together in about 10 minutes. Sometimes, I will cover it in whipped cream, but lately I have been baking it instead with a topping of pecans caramelized in butter and brown sugar. Recipe makes 1 9x13 or 1 10" springform cake
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I love baking with cranberries, so this recipe really grabbed me! Followed it right on down, definitely including both the optional flavorings, & we had a most delightful treat! Thanks for a great keeper! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups cranberries (1 bag)
Optional pecan topping
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9x13 pan or a 10" springform pan.
- Beat eggs and sugar together for 5-7 minutes; the eggs will increase in volume quite a bit, streaming into ribbons when you lift the beaters. They will also turn pale yellow. Add butter and flavorings and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and fold in cranberries. Pour into greased pan.
- Optional pecan topping:
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and stir. Add the toasted pecans and cook for several minutes, stirring, until the butter and sugar mixture is shiny and smooth and the nuts smell toasted. Spread over the cake batter and bake as above.
- Bake 45-50 minutes for a 9x13, or a little over an hour for the springform. You made need to tent the cake with foil in the last 15 minutes or so to keep the top from browning.
- Cool completely before serving.