Recipe by Dachshund Lover
Perfect for Christmas gifts, I've never tried them but they looked so good. You could use any dried berry or combination of berries. Courtesy of Clean Home Journal.
For the jar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To assemble the gift jar:.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar. (Decorative or vintage jars make a great keepsake after the muffin mix is used, just make sure the jar is food safe and washed thoroughly.).
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above, starting with the sugar on the bottom, then flour, cranberries, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and finally salt.
- Press each ingredient layer firmly into place with a flat-bottomed object (like a plastic cup) before adding the next.
- Secure the lid.
- Create a recipe card that shares directions to prepare & bake muffins.
- Directions to prepare muffins:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Add contents of jar and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into greased or papered muffin tins, filling each cup two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins for 5 minutes in the tin.
- For a special treat make a slit in the top of the muffin and insert a pat of butter for any muffins you are going to eat right then.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to one week.