Recipe by Irmgard
A friend asked me months ago to post this recipe and I'm only getting around to it now! He likes Red River cereal and was intrigued by the fact that I have a muffin recipe that uses it. For those of you who don't know what Red River cereal is, it contains cracked wheat, rye and flax and is very healthy. I have only seen it sold in Canada though so if you want to try this, you may have to experiment with various combinations of the above. Please note that standing time is included in the cooking time.
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup red river cereal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (Use frozen if fresh are not available)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oats, Red River cereal and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Let stand for 40 minutes.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the egg and melted butter to the cereal mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.