Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Have any leftover cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving? From a local source with Middle Eastern flavors I added. The nuts are optional.
- 4 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I used half unbleached white sugar and half dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 8 cups stale bread cubes
- 2⁄3 cup cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons nuts, to garnish (I used slivered almonds although walnuts, pistachios,pecans, hazelnuts, etc. will work)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a baking dish large enough to hold 10 cups.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, sugar(s), vanilla extract, spices, orange zest and orange blossom water.
- Place half of the bread in the baking dish, spoon and spread the cranberry sauce on top; add the remaining bread cubes.
- Slowly pour milk mixture over the bread. Allow to sit for 10 or 15 minutes before baking so bread absorbs the milk. (Fresh bread might need to sit only 5 minutes. Stale bread takes longer and might need a little periodic coaxing with a spoon to keep it under the milk.).
- Dot the bread with butter.
- Bake for about an hour (adding the almonds to the top the last 15 minutes) until puffed and golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Servings are estimated.
- Tasted good with a dollop of real whipped cream on top!
You may see the photo at: www.annacia.com in the Savor gallery. Mmmmmmmm, I haven't made a bread pudding in a very long time and I love it. It's pure comfort for me. I made a half recipe as it's all mine by default and used chopped whole berries in place of the sauce (less sugar and I like them better this way). I used 1/2 cup of Splenda and for me that was perfect. It looked Christmasy with the red berries scattered throughout and tasted wonderful.
Leftover cranberry...surely you jest! I made up a double batch of cranberry sauce & probably used more than 2/3c in this recipe. It was so good....I really was tempted to use more eggs but didn't & the recipe is perfect as it. We devoured it! Thank you! Made for NA/ME Tag 1/13