Recipe by Chef mariajane
The only thing more comforting than a warm bread pudding on a cold day is one drizzled with a warm Amaretto sauce. The tartness of cranberries is a wonderful contrast to the sweeter elements of this dish, while the nuttiness of almonds and Amaretto takes it from "comforting" to gourmet, especially when matched with the rich apple and caramel flavors of Domaine Pinnacle Ice Cider from Quebec, Canada.
Top Review by BothFex
Good basic recipe. I used dried out hot dog buns for the bread because that's what I had and I changed out 1 c. of the milk for buttermilk (again, it's what I had). Had to stir up the mixture very gently as hot dog buns (even those toasted and dried out in the oven) are pretty delicate. Folded in chopped, frozen cranberry's and poured the whole mess into a 12" round baker and sprinkled the top with raw sugar. I baked it at the specified temp though it required a bit more time. Pulled it out when it was puffed and golden. It looked beautiful! The tangy punch of the cranberry was excellent and I think next time I'll add a bit of cinnamon.
The only issue I have with this recipe is the sauce. I think the butter ratio is too high. Next time I'd cut the butter by half or use a different recipe entirely.
INGREDIENTS FOR BREAD PUDDING
- 5 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped bread (try mixing baguette and brioche)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
INGREDIENTS FOR THE AMARETTO SAUCE
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Amaretto
Directions See How It's Made
- BREAD PUDDING: In a large mixing bowl, place eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and Amaretto. Mix thoroughly. Add bread and cranberries and toss in the liquid. Set it aside to soak (10-15 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease muffin tin with butter. Fill the miffin cups and place on the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the center is firm. Insert a skewer into the center to test. If it comes out wet, keep baking.
- While bread pudding is in the oven, prepare Amaretto sauce.
- AMARETTO SAUCE:.
- In a pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar. When the sugar has dissolved and begins to caramelize add the cream and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add in toasted almonds and the Amaretto. Remove from heat. Drizzle the warm sauce over the bread pudding.