Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
Recipe is taken from the America's Best Recipes cookbook/More Than a Tea Party - Junior League of Boston. I love cranberries -- can't get enough of them and they are so good for you.
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, torn into pieces (16-oz. loaf)
- 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts)
- 2 cups milk, whole
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (optional, can use rum extract)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- maple syrup (I prefer a custard sauce)
- Combine bread, cranberries, and pecans in a large bowl; toss gently. Combine milk and half and half; pour over bread mixture. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Combine eggs, sugars, rum and vanilla; stir well. Add egg mixture to chilled bread, stirring gently to combine. Pour into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until set and lightly browned. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm with maple syrup or sauce of your choice.
I made this recipe but veganized it so the whole family could enjoy it. I substituted almond milk and coconut milk for the milk and half and half called for in the recipe. I also used mixed berries instead of cranberries and it was delicious. I was out of cranberries but had all of the other ingredients.Thanks for a great recipe!
I always save the tail end of bread that reaches that "Use it or lose it" stage in the freezer for bread puddings. No telling what kind of bread will be lurking and I always seem to end up with a bread mix but it always turns out good bread pudding. This one had a mix of whole wheat and white heals. I added cinnamon, used skim milk and some fat free coffee creamer, a Tbsp of Splenda brown blend and 1/3 cup of Splenda granulated (I made a half recipe) which seriously cut the fat and sugar. I skipped the rum entirely and even with my diabetic subs I got a truly yummy bread pudding. Have to say that I really enjoyed the whole cranberry's in this and that it's a worthy end to some more of the Christmas cranberries still in the freezer.
Made one kind of major change when preparing this ~ I used a loaf of whole grain bread that I thought blended well with the cranberries & other ingredients, & I also left out the rum! The final result was one very, very satisfying bread pudding, delightfully so! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday recipe tag]