Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is taken from the America's Best Recipes cookbook/More Than a Tea Party - Junior League of Boston. I love cranberries -- can't get enough of them and they are so good for you.
Top Review by Jociecee
I made this recipe but veganized it so the whole family could enjoy it. I substituted almond milk and coconut milk for the milk and half and half called for in the recipe. I also used mixed berries instead of cranberries and it was delicious. I was out of cranberries but had all of the other ingredients.Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, torn into pieces (16-oz. loaf)
- 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts)
- 2 cups milk, whole
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (optional, can use rum extract)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- maple syrup (I prefer a custard sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine bread, cranberries, and pecans in a large bowl; toss gently. Combine milk and half and half; pour over bread mixture. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Combine eggs, sugars, rum and vanilla; stir well. Add egg mixture to chilled bread, stirring gently to combine. Pour into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until set and lightly browned. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm with maple syrup or sauce of your choice.