Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Calories, fat, and cholesterol and fiber was boosted by: - using dried cranberries in place of nuts - replacing the oil with applesauce - using egg whites instead of whole eggs - incorporating whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350*. Coat a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, white sugar, orange peel, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla extract until thoroughly blended. Scrape into the well in the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the chopped and dried cranberries.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the bread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.