Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 cup walnuts (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (4 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 5 3- inch loaf pan.
- Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven until very lightly browned,about 5 min.
- Leave oven on.
- Coarsely chop nuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in juice.
- Add flour, baking powder, orange zest, and salt.
- Mix until just blended.
- Stir in cranberries and toasted walnuts.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Bake until top of loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean,50-55 min.
- Let stand in pan for 10 minutes.
- Unmold onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
I make this recipe every year to give to neighbors, friends, and guests. You can get five mini loaves from a double batch. It also freezes well. Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and place it in a ziplock bag until time to use. I prefer the dried cranberries(craisins) for they give the bread a sweeter taste. Such a nice bread to give as a gift.
Excellent flavor but the texture is a little too crumbly.