Prep 32 mins
Cook 1 hr
this recipe comes from "why does santa wear red?"
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen cranberries, chopped into halves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- grease a 9 by 5 loaf pan.
- sift together flour,sugar,baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- using a pastry blender cut in shortening until coarse crumbs form.
- in a seperate bowl,combine orange juice,orange peel & egg.
- make a well in the center of the dry ingrediants.
- add egg mixture all at once,tossing with a fork until just moistened.
- stir in nuts & cranberries.
- spread batter in prepared pan.
- bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,about 1 hour.
- remove bread from pan;cool completly.
This is a very simple to make loaf that tastes soooo good!. The orange juice is a lovely accent and the berries supply a nice tart nip. This was made today for Thanksgiving (Canada) and it was quickly inhaled by folks I wanted to keep out of the kitchen, LOL. I did take a slice before giving it to the others, thank goodness! I would certainly make this again...and likely will before Christmas. :D