Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A friend gave me this recipe 30 years or so ago. It has just the right amount of tartness from the cranberries and smells so good while baking. It's great to give as gifts to friends during the holidays
- 1 cup raw cranberries, washed, picked over, and cut in half
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I like pecans)
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar thoroughly.
- Combine orange juice, rind, water,and butter.
- Blend wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Add beaten egg.
- Add cranberries and nuts.
- Mix enough to moisten.
- Bake in well-greased loaf pan about 1 hour at 350°F.
- Check after 50 minutes.
This is a truly fantastic recipe (5 stars are not enough). It's easy to make, smells divine while cooking and tastes just fabulous! The orange and cinnamon flavours develop with keeping, so if you can be strong enough not to eat it all from the oven, it's worth the wait :-) Mr B and I enjoyed a slice each per day for a week; and the last slice was still wonderfully moist. Two top tips for you: Mrs B's top tip #1, base line the loaf tin for easy turn out; Mrs B's top tip #2, cover up when cutting the cranberries (a wet-suit would be ideal), I got very splashed :-) Mainecooncat, thank you for sharing; I will be making this again for us, and making this to give to friends.
Fabulous! Added a cup of chocolate chips and it was divine. Made many loaves as neighbor gifts. Very simple recipe. The hardest part was all the chopping and rinding (if that's a word...).
Wonderful basic recipe! I doubled the recipe and used 1/2 and 1/2 Whole Wheat and All Purpose Flour. I also didn't have an orange so no rind. I used some orange juice concentrate and used double strength for normal orange juice. To give it that extra oomph. It was what I had. Then I added 3 T spiced rum in place of the water. I also used a mixture of pecans and walnuts, again what I had on hand.