- 2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 cups frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons or 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350º.
- Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 × 4 1/2 × 2 1/2 inches or 9 × 5 × 3 inches.
- Mix cranberries, sugar, oil, milk, lemon peel, vanilla and eggs in large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
- Store tightly wrapped in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Wonderful Cranberry Bread - an absolute keeper. I looked at the reviews and used everyone's ideas: used pecans and covered with a simple orange glaze made with one cup icing sugar + 1 tbsp orange juice. I always cut oil by half and add applesauce instead - yummy and moist and less fattening. This has a nice light taste and the right balance between tart and sweet - even better the 2nd day. I'm glad it makes 2 loaves since we are just about done the first one in one day! Wonderful - will be part of my permanent collection.
Found it to be a little dry...will sub applesauce for the oil next time.
Awesome! The best cranberry bread I have ever had but I did make a few changes to it. I omitted the lemon zest and the nuts (don't like either) and used two teaspoons of almond extract instead of vanilla. The almond extract made it absolutely amazing. I did chop the cranberries quite fine in the food processor after reading other reviews and the loaves are not tart at all.