Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful holiday bread with the added goodness of whole wheat.
- 2 oranges
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 473.18 ml sugar (I use a combination of Splenda and sugar)
- 3 egg whites
- 59.14 ml oil
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 473.18 ml cranberries, coarsly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly oil two 9-by-5 inch loaf pans and set aside.
- Grate the rind off the oranges and reserve.
- Cut the oranges in half and squeeze out the juice.
- Add enough boiling water to juice to make 1-1/2 cups liquid.
- Combine the juice and rind with the remainig ingredients.
- Place in prepared pans and bake for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes in pan, turn out and cool thoroughly before slicing.
This has a nice, chewy texture, and just the right balance between tart and sweet. I used half Splenda, half sugar. My only regret is cutting the recipe in half and only getting one loaf! I will make two next time and freeze one! Thanks for posting this!
This was good bread, however I would have liked it to rise better, the bread was a bit on the dense side, but the flavor was there! Thanks Paula!...Kitten:)
A yummy loaf. I used 1/2 splenda, 1/2 sugar and it turned out great...I think 1 1/2 C of cranberries would have been enough...was more cranberry & nuts than bread! Still delicious!