Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
My grandma has made this for years. now that i live away from home, she makes several loaves right before i come to visit. that way i have plenty to bring to connecticut with me.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh cranberries, cut in halves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Combine dry ingredients; add egg and liquid ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Makes 1 large 5" x 7" or 2 small 3" x 7" loaves.
- Grease panand bake large loaf about 1 hour and small loaves about 50 minutes at 350°F Cool on wire racks before slicing.