Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
just give this unusual combination of flavors a try! this is one of the best stews you will ever taste..
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 small carrots, cut in chunks
- 16 ounces white pearl onions
- 16 ounces whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- in a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil.
- add water, bouillon cubes, worchestshire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.
- cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- add more water to cover beef if necessary.
- add carrots, onions with liquid, and cranberry sauce, simmer for 45 minutes.
- in small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water.
- add to stew; stir until thickened.
- add Kitchen Bouquet and heat for 5 minutes.
I've made this recipe for several years and love it. I like to serve it with potatoes to help absorb the juices and sweetness.
This does have an interesting taste, but it was too sweet for my personal preference. I don't use Kitchen Bouquet, so that might have helped tone down the sweetness a bit. Also, I think I might try jellied cranberry sauce rather than whole-berry. The berries themselves don't survive the cooking process, but the skins sure do, and they don't look or taste very good in the finished product.