Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, by Anna Tasca Lanza, "The Heart of Sicily: Recipes and Reminiscences of Regaleali, a Country Estate". Preparation time includes 8 hours of soaking of the dried cranberry beans.
- 1 lb dried cranberry beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped (measure after chopping)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb spaghetti or 1⁄4 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles, broken up into 1-inch pieces and cooked al dente
- black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced, for garnish
- olive oil, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans in cold water to cover overnight.
- Drain and place beans in a large saucepan with the onion, celery, and carrots. Cover with water, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the beans are almost done, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, saute the pancetta until it renders its fat.
- Add the garlic cloves and saute.
- Add the tomatoes and parsley and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of beans from the saucepan and puree them in a food mill or food processor. Stir the puree back into the soup.
- Add the tomato mixture and the spaghetti to the soup.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the soup to warm it through.
- Garnish with minced garlic and a stream of olive oil.