Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This looked so good I must share! It could be used for chicken also with equally good results! You could use 2 chickens or half the recipe if using one. From Better Homes & Gardens magazine, November 2013.
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (12 -14 lb) fresh turkey (or thawed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) canwhole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup cranberry pomegranate juice
- 2⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, snipped
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- In a small bowl stir together all ingredients except turkey and sauce. Set spice mixture aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey(or chicken); discard. Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Starting at neck end, loosen skin by sliding your fingers underneath, separating skin from mneat. Rub spice mixture under skin, over breast, and toward thighs.
- Rub 2 tbls. of olive oil over turkey. Pull neck skin to back; fasten with a small skewer. Tuck wings under breast. Loop kitchen string around drumsticks; tie securely to tail. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert an oven going meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle, avoiding bone. Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast 2 3/4 hours. Remove foil. Roast 15-45 minutes more, or until thermometer reaches 175*F. Generously brush turkey with 1/2 cup cranberry BBQ sauce the last 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Cover turkey with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with fresh oregano. Serve with remaining cranberry BBQ sauce and kumquats(or other fruit of choice).
- Cranberry BBQ Sauce:.
- In a medium saucepan cook finely chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat, about 6 minutes. Add 1 can whole cranberry sauce, cranberry pomegranate juice, chili sauce, balsamic vinegar, and dry mustard.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in snipped oregano; cook 1 minute more.
- Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Excellent recipe! (I have to run out right now, but I will be back with a full review).