Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sauce may be used to baste meats and poultry before grilling or roasting. I got this from the Shoalwater Restaurant in Seaview, Washington. Enjoy! You may easily half this recipe. You could make this in the crock pot, just cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- 6 cups fresh cranberries or 6 cups frozen cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Place all ingredients into a stock pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to 1/3.
- Place in a blender in small batches and puree (always be VERY careful when pureeing hot liquids in a blender!).
- Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer.
- Chill in the refrigerator. This sauce will hold for weeks in the refrigerator.
I used this BBQ sauce for red beans. Threw red beans in a greased casserole dish, dumped in the BBQ sauce and slow baked for about 2 hours. Yum! Really good! Luckily I taste tested the BBQ sauce *first* before adding it the beans because I forgot to add the brown sugar! Made for Veg Tag/May. Thanks, Sharon!
Great sauce and really not hard to make. Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off. A nice tangy, tartness to this. I used chipotle chili powder for some extra heat. Used on some chicken pieces, but would be good on pork or duck. The Shoalwater in Seaview is now gone, so glad to have this recipe.
A nice tangy barbecue sauce! There were so many flavors blending together that if I hadn't made it myself, I wouldn't necessarily have known that cranberries were the main ingredient! Thanks for posting.