Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Open the oven door and the aroma of this fresh baked breakfast bread will have the entire house clamoring into the kitchen. Moist and dense in texture, the bread includes healthy ingredients, such as oats and fresh banana, and is easy to prepare and very adaptable, accommodating your choice of chopped nuts or dried fruit in place of the cranberries. Some people say you don't even need the sugar when the bananas are so sweet. Adapted from Whole Foods.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (recommend subbing 1/4 cup whole wheat flour for 1/4 cup of the white flour)
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats (I use old fashioned oats whizzed in the food processor a few times)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups ripe mashed banana pulp (about 3 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted, cooled (Earth Balance recommended or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (some people leave out entirely, say the banana provides enough sweetness)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan with a small amount of margarine.
- Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk bananas, eggs and margarine together in a separate bowl. Add sugar, cranberries, and lemon juice; mix until blended. Gently stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake until lightly browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow the bread to cool completely in the pan, about 1 hour. Turn the bread out onto a cutting board and, using a serrated bread knife, slice the bread into 3/4-inch thick pieces.
- Arrange on a platter and serve. Enjoy!
I enjoyed this bread with my coffee and looked forward to the treat. Love bananas, dried cranberries, and lemon flavors. Didnt have whole wheat flour on hand this time so used all white flour, 3 large bananas, canola oil, 1/4 cup sugar, and cranraisins. This recipes is a keeper and next time will use the whole wheat flour along with the all purpose. Made and reviewed for Family Picks during ZWT8.
We enjoyed this banana bread, I really liked the cranberries and the touch of lemon helped give them some zing. I was a little short of banana so used a some applesauce. I did add a tsp of cinnamon and used whole wheat pastry flour. Made for ZWT 8 by one of The Wild Bunch.
I used the recommended 1/4 cup whole wheat flour with the white flour. It gave a yummy taste to the bread. I used only 1/4 cup sugar. Thanks Sharon for posting a great cranberry banana bread. Made for PRMR tag game